Most of the search engine optimization (SEO) are uncertain if the efforts of its hard works provide better results or not. Especially those that are new to the industry, having no idea of the performance of their projects will leave them hanging if everything’s still worth it, or the areas that needs to be improved.
Trying one metric can reflect and see lighter sides of the story. Still, it does not guarantee that that single metric being used can fully describe the status of every project. Rather, only one area can be somehow indicated how it increases or diminishes.
To solve this dilemma, most of SEOs are using multiple metrics to keep track of the performance of any project. These metrics, by the way, is also called Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
KPI is a quantifiable value that recognizes how a company is able to meet its vital objectives and other essential factors like the quota or target results Moreover, it is also a tool that helps the company to determine its over-all performance for a specific period of time, on the case of higher levels of KPIs, while the lower ones contribute to the minor levels like sales and marketing areas.
How KPIs Contribute to the Betterment of a Company
KPIs are not only effective to the chief executives of the company. In fact, with its ability to check and recognize various areas a company has, it is a big help most especially in the lower levels of the organization. It can be a great help in attaining better development in every area in the organization and also in producing higher quality organizational results.
Ways in Defining KPI
The concept of KPI is often associated with other business metrics. Despite of the same dynamics, KPIs however mostly focuses on the critical or vital objectives of the company. From the term “key”, it only tackles a specific yet measurable outcome.
Here are some of the things that should be considered when defining the company’s KPI:
- Identify the company’s desired outcome.
- Determine why knowing this particular outcome matters to the company.
- Know how to measure the progress and development from the result to be recognized.
- Distinguish how everyone can bring influence to the outcome.
- Recognize the people and other things that is should be responsible for the business outcome.
- Determine the factors to know that the outcome is already achieved.
- Identify how often evaluation and monitoring must be done towards achieving the outcome.
How to Develop KPIs
Before starting to construct the company’s KPI, recognizing how the KPI can be relatable to the objectives must be first considered.
1. Prepare a clear objective of the KPI- it should be intimately connected on the company’s business objective.
2. Communicate the KPI with the stakeholders- this will help the employees and other member in the organization to become aware of the direction they all have to meet and look forward to for the company. Moreover, this should be done in the right way and proper context.
3. Ensure that the KPI is reviewed on a regular basis- Having a regular reminder of the KPI not only helps the organization of its target outcome, but it also makes assessment for the company and its various areas easier.
4. Make sure that the KPI made is actionable- it should be done on this process:
-Reviewing the company’s objectives
-Assessing the current status and performance
-Setting short and long-term targets for the KPI
-Reviewing these targets to other members of the company
-Evaluating the progress and readjust, if needed
5. Adjust the KPI to ensure that it fits to the changes that happens in the organization.
This is another reason why KPIs must be viewed on a regular basis- to make sure that it still fits to the changes in the organization. It gives you enough time to review what needs to be changed to sure that it still meets the desired outcome for the organization.
Failure to check the KPI will result in providing wrong impressions to the current performance level and its effect to the objective of the company. When a KPI remains obsolete, it can give a wrong idea that the organization’s present status is either going good or bad, resulting in changing strategies that can be a waste in the future. However, a flexible KPI can provide reliable status which can give you more techniques to adjust what needs to be adjusted to achieve on the desired destination.
6. See to it that the KPI is attainable.
Another purpose of thorough reviews and monitoring of the KPI made is to ensure that it can always be achieved.
In addition, a KPI that is too good to be true instead of being attainable is another useless for any company or organization. A too high KPI will just exhaust every ingredient for its attainment, while a too low KPI will leave everyone hanging around as soon as the objectives are accomplished. That is why regular performance analysis is also very crucial
7. Have the KPI as updated as needed.
As mentioned earlier, an obsolete KPI is useless. It should be always ready to be adjusted and evolved if the need arises.
So, aside from checking the organization’s current performance in connection to the KPI, the need for the KPI itself to be changed or remained is another thing to regularly watch out for.
Digital marketing is considered one of the fastest ways not only in promoting any company, but also can create more and better sales. However, this can only be possible by measuring and ensuring that every efforts digitally will not be wasted by having definite and well-monitored KPIs.